Two months have gone by since I have posted a blog...two very long months full of self discovery and reliance. My journey here has not been an easy one but even through it's faulty mishaps, I would be lying if I said I wasn't having the time of my life. I have had the wonderful opportunity to meet people from all over the world who have really opened my eyes so to many new things that I otherwise may have never seen before. I have become more appreciative of myself and what I have left behind yet at the same time I understand that in order to keep growing in the positive direction I have been going, I have to keep moving forward. This does not mean that I can't move back to Memphis. This means that I have to be cautious not to fall back into some of the same patterns that I had while I lived in Memphis that were clearly not good for me.
So, in order to keep moving in the right direction, I decided to throw a little positivity out in the universe by sharing a few things that make me happy here in Buenos Aires.
First on the list: Mate
Anyone who knows me knows that I love my Mate! This traditional South American infused drink is the national beverage of both Argentina and Uruguay. You can also find it in Chile, Brazil, Peru and Bolivia. Gourd mate cups (pronounced "ma-teh") are used to drink a tea made from the yerba plant; both the drink itself and the gourd cup are known synonymously as mate. The silver straw that you use to drink the mate is called a bombilla (pronounced bom-bee-ya or bom-bee-zha depending on local accent). The wild yerba plant can be found in Paraguay, Brazil, Argentina, and Uruguay although now it is starting to spread to many other tropical plantations around the world due to the high demand. Mate is a prized organic tea. When the yerba leaves are dried up they are used as a type of infusion very similar to tea but much stronger. The yerba leaves contain quite a bit of minerals and vitamins as well as a substance associated closely to caffeine. This beverage really kick starts my morning before I begin working. One or two mates in and I am wide awake. Not only that but it clears my throat to a disturbing point where I want to sing all day long but I am trying not to run off my roommates just yet. The second thing on my list: People of Different Cultures
Buenos Aires is a massive destination for foreigners looking for something different. That to me is one of the most beautiful things about this city. If the people that you met here counted as seeing whatever piece of land they came from, I feel like I would have almost seen the whole world by now. I get so excited when I meet someone new from a place that I have not had a chance to hear about first hand. The stories that they have to tell about their home and the adventures they have been on are truly amazing and definitely eye opening. Even the people from the states that I meet here in Argentina have so many interesting stories to tell. Just goes to show that when you are able to step out of your boundaries and take risks in your life... THAT is when you truly begin to live it.
Number 3: Architecture and Art
The yummy fourth: FOOOOOOOOOD!!
This is the one I know everyone is most interested in and I hate to disappoint you but the food here sucks, especially the meat. For one, if you go to a Parilla (BBQ), all of the meat there is too fresh and they cook it just perfectly! I don't understand it. Match it up with a good wine or beer and you really have a bad meal coming your way. Secondly, you have so many different varieties of very delicious meat. Who wants to make these kind of decisions? Well anyway, I really don't even need to go on about how bad the food is here. You can take a look for yourself...
Terrible isn't it?
Well I have to be honest, for those of you who talk to me on a daily basis you know I have been struggling with a few things since moving here. Although it is a natural thing to develop culture shock and become homesick, it is definitely not an easy thing to cope with. Some days I love getting out in the city and exploring but other days I rather not go out at all. From now on I need to remember that it is up to me what kind of experience I have here, whether it is good or bad. I am in control of my thoughts and my thoughts are in control of me. So, as long as I keep positive and remember all of the great things that I am getting to be a part of here in Buenos Aires, the more likely it is that the outcome of my trip will be a satisfying one indeed.




No comments:
Post a Comment